The United States District Court for the Western District of New York announces visitor restrictions to all courthouses in the District as a result of the COVID-19 virus beginning to spread in New York State.
The Centers for Disease Control has advised people to take precautions considering the COVID-19 virus outbreak and noted that the best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus.
Therefore, effective immediately, the following persons shall not enter any United States courthouse in the Western District of New York:
• Persons who have traveled to any of the following countries with the last 14 days:
o South Korea;
o This list will be updated as further guidance is received.
• Persons who reside or have had close contact with someone who has traveled to one of the countries listed above within the last 14 days;
• Persons who have been asked to self-quarantine by any doctor, hospital or health agency;
• Persons who have been diagnosed with or have had contact with anyone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19;
• Persons with fever, cough or shortness of breath.
If you have a scheduled appointment or you are otherwise required to appear at the Jackson Courthouse or the Keating Federal Building, and you are unable to appear because of the restrictions listed above, you should proceed as follows:
• If you are represented by an attorney, please contact your attorney;
• If you are an attorney and you are scheduled to appear in court before a judge, please contact that chambers directly (phone numbers for all district chambers may be found at: https://www.nywd.uscourts.gov/district-judges); Bankruptcy chambers at: https://www.nywb.uscourts.gov/
• If you have a District Court matter, please contact the Clerk’s Office at:
o Buffalo: 716-551-1700
o Rochester: 585-613-4000
• If you are scheduled to meet with a Probation or Pretrial Services officer, please contact the Office of Probation and Pretrial Services at:
o Buffalo: 716-551-4241
o Rochester: 585-263-6810
• If you have a Bankruptcy Court matter, please contact Bankruptcy Court Services at:
o Buffalo: 716-362-3200
o Rochester: 585-613-4200
• If you are a juror, please contact the Jury Department at:
o Buffalo: 716-551-1721
o Rochester: 585-613-4017
• If you need to contact the United States Attorney’s Office, please contact:
o Buffalo: 716-843-5700
o Rochester: 585-263-6760
• If you need to contact the Federal Public Defender’s Office, please contact:
o Buffalo: 716-551-3341
o Rochester: 585-263-6201
• For all other matters, please contact Mary Loewenguth, Clerk of Court at 716-551-1700
These temporary restrictions will remain in place until it is determined to be safe to remove them. People who think they may have been exposed to COVID-19 should contact their healthcare provider immediately.