Keywords: 8th Judicial District, Adjournments, Postponements
Supplementing the press notice dated March 17, 2020 (linked below) and in response to a number of inquiries from the public please be advised as follows:
- All traffic matters in any court (City, Town or Village) are adjourned/postponed for at least 45 days. You will receive a notice from the court of your newly scheduled court date.
- All criminal court matters scheduled to be heard for an arraignment on a criminal court appearance ticket in any court (City, Town or Village) are adjourned/postponed for 45 days. You will receive a notice from the court of your newly scheduled court date.
- All post-arraignment criminal court matters in any court (Supreme and County, City, Town or Village) are adjourned/postponed for at least 45 days. You will receive a notice from the court of your newly scheduled court date. If after March 17, 2020, you were remanded to the custody of the Sheriff you will have a court appearance within 30 days of your remand. You will receive notice of your court appearance through your defense attorney, or if you are representing yourself, you will be contacted directly by the court.
- All landlord tenant eviction proceedings in any court (City, Town or Village) are adjourned/postponed. All parties will receive a notice from the court with a newly scheduled court date for the proceeding. In Erie County, neither the Sheriffs Office nor the City of Buffalo Marshall’s Office will be executing warrants of eviction.
- All family court matters are adjourned/postponed. You or your attorney will receive a notice from the court of your newly scheduled court date. Note – If the Court determines your matter is an essential court matter, you or your attorney will be notified by the court.
- For Family Court proceedings, essential court matters include, but are not limited to, urgent juvenile delinquency proceedings, child protective proceedings where there is an imminent risk of harm to a child, urgent Family Offense matters, emergency support matters
- All foreclosure proceedings are adjourned/postponed. You will be notified by the court of your newly scheduled court date.
- No foreclosure auctions will be held.
- All Orders of Protections and Temporary Orders of Protection issued by any court (Supreme, County, Family, City, Town or Village) have been extended under the same terms and conditions until the date the matter is re-calendared, unless the order is sooner terminated or modified by a judge or justice of the court that issued the order.
- If members of the public have any questions, they should contact the following courts:
Allegany County – 585-449-3462; Cattaraugus County – 716-379-6639; Chautauqua County – 716-753-4266; Erie County – 716-845-9301; Genesee County – 585-201-5731; Niagara County – 716-280-6393; Orleans County – 585-283-6657; Wyoming County – 585-228-3199
- As a reminder all Courts are open for ESSENTIAL MATTERS. The March 17, 2020 press notice (linked below) provides additional information concerning ESSENTIAL MATTERS including Court Locations.