System Administration is seeking a Paralegal who will support all aspects of the of the Office of General Counsel (OGC) satellite office for the SUNY Western Campuses (WestCam) located at the Buffalo State College campus by providing highly competent, professional, and timely support services to leadership and administrators at WestCam. The position reports to the Chief Campus Counsel for WestCam with the WestCam Presidents being the chief clients for all legal matters. The SUNY campuses that make up the WestCam include Alfred State, Brockport, Buffalo State, Fredonia, and Geneseo.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Pro-actively coordinate with the OGC attorneys in preparing and proofreading a variety of legal documents for content, clarity, and grammar
- Assist attorney in all aspects of administrative proceedings including reviewing, scheduling, drafting, and submission of answers/responses, briefs, statements of fact, witness statements, evidentiary materials, and binders while ensuring timely submission of all materials and providing other support as assigned by supervising attorney
- Review, prepare and process affiliation, study abroad, student exchange and other experiential learning agreements for WestCam
- Complete documents necessary for Federal Communications Commission license renewals and other filings and reports on behalf of WestCam campus-based radio stations and act as a liaison for the stations
- Maintain WestCam matters in OGC filing system - primarily responsible for inputting new Court of Claims filings, administrative hearings, and other litigation-related matters
- Forward incident reports for all OGC WestCam offices to the Office of the Attorney General
- Assist with running reports/searches/queries using the legal matter management system related to WestCam
- Create and maintain various templates, databases, clause library and spreadsheet files as requested by supervising attorney or OGC leadership within OGC's web-based case management system
- Use reference materials to conduct basic legal research and resolve routine law questions under the guidance of supervising attorney
- Coordinate with outside counsel to obtain information and required documentation
- Maintain a spreadsheet of retained counsel expenditures and provide reports, as needed, to OGC Leadership
- Provide OGC attorneys with litigation support including E- file set-up and maintenance, document and fact gathering, review and preparation of discovery materials, and coordination of work through outside counsel
- Assist in training new or supporting paralegal staff and/or temporary personnel
- Assist with mentoring OGC interns/volunteers
- Compose correspondence and memoranda in connection with existing client matters
- Maintain positive and professional relationships with client business units to facilitate cooperation in carrying out responsibilities
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field and/or paralegal degree or certification
- One to five years of paralegal or similar experience in a legal department, law firm or similar setting
- Effective oral, written, and non-verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to handle a variety of projects simultaneously and prioritize effectively while paying attention to details
- Active listening, judgment, and decision-making skills
- Knowledge of modern office standard practices and procedures
- Proficiency in using various Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, Access, Power Point and Outlook
- Ability to learn other office technology and databases
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
- Notary public licensure
- Ability to work effectively with internal staff and outside counsel
- Experience with establishing and maintaining complex filing systems
- Ability to organize and analyze large volumes of information and documents
- Ability to manage a heavy workload and prioritize multiple projects
- Ability to work independently while functioning well in a team environment
- Salary: Commensurate with qualifications. Excellent Benefit Package which includes; NYS health insurance, free dental and vision, competitive retirement options, tuition assistance and generous vacation, sick and holiday accruals.
- Management/Confidential appointments work under the leadership and discretion of the appointing authority and are not represented by a union.
- Offers of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment background check and verification of degree(s) and credentials.
- Travel to OGC's meetings and to the various WestCam locations may be required on a limited basis
Interested candidates are invited to apply online. Please submit a cover letter, resume and four professional references when applying. The review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
State University of New York System Administration is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction, or retaliation.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.