The Erie County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project (VLP) is seeking a full-time Staff Attorney to join its Immigration Program, in their Batavia, NY office. This office handles work under the New York Immigrant Family Unity Project (NYIFUP) contract at the Buffalo Federal Detention Facility in Batavia, and some WNY county jails which hold immigrant women. This is a public defender model program where we represent all low income detained people that are facing deportation and are not otherwise represented.
- handle individual caseload and represent clients before DOJ-EOIR, DHS, and BIA defending detained low-income immigrants who are subject to removal for a variety of reasons including criminal convictions, unlawful entry and visa overstays
- Work collaboratively with Paralegals and Social Workers and act as an additional resource to them
- Grant/data reporting
- special projects/community outreach and education as directed
- other duties may be assigned
Requirements/Skills - Required:
- admitted to practice law
- organizational skills to juggle many cases efficiently while also being able to track and report required data about the work in a timely and accurate manner
ability to work cooperatively with fellow staff and supervisors while also being able to work independently
- the means and willingness to travel (a driver’s license and regular access to a vehicle are required)
- strong oral and written advocacy skills
- legal research software proficiency
- the desire to want a career in litigation defending detained low-income immigrants
Requirements/Skills – Preferred:
- fluency in Spanish or French
- one year experience in litigation, preferably in immigration removal proceedings
Those without previous experience, but possessing the desire and language skills are encouraged to apply. If the potential candidate possesses two or more years of immigration litigation experience but does not speak a language other than English, s/he is also encouraged to apply.
TO APPLY: Please send a resume, a cover letter clearly explaining your interest and qualifications. Include contact information for 3 references and send your materials to: Brenda Cisneros, Supervising Attorney, ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc. at email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed as received.
For information on VLP, see www.ecbavlp.com
VLP is an equal opportunity employer. Salary depends upon experience. Excellent benefits including fully paid health insurance, a cafeteria plan for dependent care and transportation costs, long term disability insurance, life insurance, 403b plan, Simple Employee Pension Plan, and generous leave time. Employee paid dental insurance is also available. The work atmosphere is congenial, respectful and flexible.
This position will work out of our office located in Batavia, NY with the possibility of a hybrid remote/office schedule.