Use your Law Degree to help people and change systems. NEIGHBORHOOD LEGAL SERVICES, the largest provider of civil legal services in western New York, is seeking a dynamic staff attorney for the Disability Law Unit in its Buffalo office. The staff attorney will help residents with disabilities obtain and/or maintain the health care and services that they need for the essentials of daily living and ensure that those in need are served by systems that are just, equitable and responsive. The staff attorney will learn the law and advocate for individuals in need are served by systems that are just, equitable and responsive. The staff attorney will learn the law and advocate for individual in need of Medicaid, Medicare, private insurance, Social Security benefits and other programs and services. Advocacy will include representation of individual clients and will include representation of identification and advocacy to obtain systemic chance through affirmative advocacy, impact litigation, and pro bono policy work. Your clients will include people living with low incomes, disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ+ community. The staff attorney will be responsible for case load management, legal research and writing, representation at administrative hearings and state and federal courts.
- Develop a substantive knowledge of the areas of law that impact the lives of persons with disabilities.
- Provide a spectrum of legal assistance from advice and counsel by telephone, representation at Administrative Fair Hearing and state and/or federal court
- Identify systemic problems that affect the rights of persons with disabilities and address these challenges through affirmative advocacy, impact litigation, and policy work
- Collaborate and coordinate with NLS staff and community partners to assure effective referrals and holistic service delivery
- Conduct community outreach, education, and training
- Develop relationships and engage in collaborations with a range of public and private community partners including governmental agencies, courts, and community-based organizations to ensure integrative services and to address systemic barriers facing our client community
- Demonstrate cultural competency to work with low-income clients across the spectrum of diversity, including race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, immigrant status, religious identity, physical and mental disabilities, and those with limited English proficiency.
NEIGHBORHOOD LEGAL SERVICES is a unionized organization with excellent benefits and pay beginning at $59,387 for entry level attorneys.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, writing sample and references to HR@nls.org with the subject line STAFF ATTORNEY DISABILITY LAW UNIT.
Applications will be accepted and processed upon receipt until the position is filled, but interested applicants are strongly urged to apply by February 28, 2022.
NEIGHBORHOOD LEGAL SERVICES is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We look forward to hearing from you!