The Legal Aid Bureau of Buffalo is seeking Staff Attorney. Staff Attorneys are responsible for representing low to medium income individuals in Integrated Domestic Violence (IDV) Court, facilitating access to justice and due process to the most in the Western New York community through quality legal representation and assistance. The scope of matters may include City Court Criminal Cases and Justice Court Criminal Cases (violations and misdemeanors), Family Court Petitions, and Supreme Court Divorce Actions transferred to the IDV Courts. Cases are primarily in Erie and Niagara County, but may include cases in the IDV Courts throughout the 8th Judicial District (Erie, Niagara, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, Allegany, Wyoming, Genesee and Orleans Counties).
Examples of Duties:
- Attend both virtual and in-person court appearances.
- Interview clients on a routine basis in a variety of settings, which may include our offices, court, clinics, homes or through remote means.
- Advise, counsel and inform clients regarding the legal and life issues arising in their court proceeding, taking a holistic approach to service and keeping with traumainformed principles.
- Provide individuals with effective representation and advocacy in all proceedings, including pre-trial conferences, motion practice, hearings, and trials.
- Prepare legal papers, including petitions and pleadings, discovery demands and documents, motions, memoranda of law, briefs, orders and judgments, settlement agreements and notices of appeal.
- Participate in negotiations, settlement conferences and mediations.
- Draft necessary correspondence, electronically file documents, and maintain detailed and accurate case management records.
- Collaborate with Unit attorneys and consult with supervising attorneys, as needed, regarding legal representation of clients.
- Attend formal and informal meetings held by community-based service providers or facilities, as needed or appropriate.
- Participate in out-reach events and information services, including presenting at community events, and hosting walk-in clinics and hot-line assistance.
- Understand and identify community resources that service clients and their families.
- Research, interpret and apply the law in individual matters. Remain current regarding civil laws and regulations and case law.
- Respond promptly and professionally to telephone calls, emails and other communications.
- Participate in local and State committees, initiatives and/or trainings to address needs of client population.
- Attend continuing legal education programs as directed by supervising attorneys and maintain required CLE credits on a biannual basis.
Employment Standards: Active membership in the State Bar of New York; and,
- Experience as an attorney in family law, matrimonial and criminal law preferred; or
- A combination of training, education and experience that is equivalent to the above employment standard and that provides the required knowledge and abilities
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative skills, and
- Computer proficiency, including, but not limited to, word processing skills and computerized legal research.
Additional Requirements: Possession of a valid New York State Driver's License and access to a registered, insured vehicle available for use during working hours.
Knowledge of: Federal and state laws and regulations related to civil legal services practice areas; criminal law and procedure, trial and court procedures; legal research methods; rules of evidence; standard legal office practice and procedures; ethical and professional rules of conduct; and negotiation techniques.
These positions are full-time.
The Legal Aid Bureau of Buffalo, Inc. values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities / Females / Disabled/ Veterans/ Sexual Orientation/ Gender Identity
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or The Legal Aid Bureau of Buffalo, Inc., Attention: Human Resources, 290 Main Street, Suite 400, Buffalo, NY 14202. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling bases until January 31, 2022.