HSBC’s purpose – opening up a world of opportunity – explains why we exist. Here at HSBC we use our unique expertise, capabilities, breadth and perspectives to open up new kinds of opportunity for our more than 40 million customers. We’re bringing together the people, ideas and capital that nurture progress and growth, helping to create a better world – for our customers, our people, our investors, our communities and the planet we all share.
As Senior Legal Counsel on the Wholesale Credit & Lending Legal team, you will provide legal advice, guidance and support to HSBC’s Innovation Banking team in Commercial Banking. Commercial banking has been at the core of HSBC since 1865. HSBC Innovation Banking is our enhanced global innovation practice, a globally connected, specialized banking proposition to support a broad range of innovation economy companies across all stages of growth in technology, life sciences, and healthcare, and their investors. The HSBC Innovation Banking proposition is part of CMB, so its strategic priorities align with CMB’s strategy of helping businesses grow by supporting their financial needs; facilitating cross-border trade and payments; and providing access to international markets. HSBC Innovation Banking is unique, combining innovation expertise, bespoke financial and lending services with the global platform of HSBC. This combination allows us to support innovation businesses through all of their life stages: from early-stage, growth, through to late-stage public and private corporates; and to support them with our broader HSBC platform. Globally, HSBC Innovation Banking will connect innovation centers like Boston, New York and the Bay Area, with start-up innovation hubs like Israel, the U.K. and Hong Kong. Today, HSBC is one of the largest international banks with an unrivaled global presence and access to over 90 percent of the world’s capital flows, providing risk mitigation solutions to all size corporates and multinationals. As a cornerstone of the HSBC Group, the Wholesale Credit & Lending business supports customers across Commercial Banking and Global Banking segments and sectors, from small enterprises to large multinationals, including innovation economy companies across all states of growth in technology, life sciences and healthcare. HSBC empowers these customers with tools and opportunities to thrive.
As Senior Legal Counsel, Wholesale Credit & Lending, you will:
- Provide day-to-day legal advice directly with senior stakeholders in the innovation banking business focusing on the innovation economy and innovation businesses through all of their life stages from early-stage, growth, through late-stage public and private corporates;
- Provide timely counsel and legal support on implementing early and mid-stage venture and growth lending structures, including venture debt, inventory and recurring revenue-based lines of credit, and asset-based financing;
- Support fund banking, including implementation of capital call and NAV facilities;
- Provide support on the end-to-end cycle (e.g., origination, structuring, drafting, negotiation, execution and implementation) of venture debt transactions in a cost-effective manner;
- Negotiation of venture lending documents, including equity warrants, NDAs, term sheets, inter-creditor, subordination, and other credit agreements;
- Support relationship managers in the innovation centers like Boston, New York and the Bay Area, with start-up innovation hubs like Israel, the U.K. and Hong Kong;
- Collaborate with HSBC Innovation Banking lawyers in other innovation centers globally to facilitate global standards for the Innovation Banking proposition, to share knowledge and experience and to facilitate in the management of global law firm relationships
- Ensure senior management within legal and business teams is fully briefed on material legal issues arising in Innovation Banking;
- Work independently, but seek management input on unusual situations, highly complex issues, and matters that may pose significant legal, financial and/or reputational risk to the bank;
- Manage (and instruct) panel law firms and legal spend; and
- Maintain and develop positive and professional working relationships within the wider HSBC legal department and within Innovation Banking and Wholesale Credit & Lending legal teams in the U.S. and globally.
This position is a rare opportunity to work with a global legal team of finance legal experts and gain experience with high-profile, international, and innovative deals in a growing area of balance sheet. Though the focus is on New York law-governed transactions, you will have broad exposure to matters arising globally with a regular focus on cross-border lending issues. While the successful candidate is expected to possess a level of prior experience (see Qualifications below), this role will provide hands-on experience at a level rarely available at other banks/firms.
For this role, HSBC targets a fixed pay range between $191,700.00 and $287,600.00.
The final fixed pay offer will depend on the candidate and a number of variables, including but not limited to, role responsibilities, skill set, depth of experience and education, licensing/certification requirements, internal relativity, and specific work location.
At HSBC, our overall goal is to provide a competitive Total Reward Package, with an appropriate mix of fixed pay, and variable pay, as part of an employee’s overall total compensation and benefits. Variable pay generally takes the form of discretionary, annual awards (sometimes referred to as a “bonus”). Additionally, HSBC offers a wide range of competitive and flexible benefits designed to help you improve your health and well-being, finances, and lifestyle.
In compliance with applicable laws, HSBC is committed to employing only those who are authorized to work in the US. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. as HSBC will not engage in immigration sponsorship for this position.
- A standing license to practice law in New York State or another acceptable U.S. state;
- At least 7-14 years of experience in one or more of the following financing areas: complex secured and unsecured commercial lending, especially venture and growth lending structures and related warrant and equity rights;
- Curiosity, flexibility, growth mindset and a genuine desire to contribute to a growing and dynamic team;
- A commercial and pragmatic approach to providing legal and risk advice to the business;
- Excellent collaboration skills, ability to work effectively with varied stakeholders and to drive results; and
- Excellent negotiation and drafting skills and demonstrated ability to take initiative; and
- High level of academic achievement and solid law firm experience.
As an HSBC employee, you will have access to tailored professional development opportunities to ensure you have the right skills for today and tomorrow. We offer a competitive pay and benefits package including a robust Wellness Hub, all in a welcoming, diverse and inclusive work environment. You will be empowered to drive HSBC’s engagement with the communities we serve through an industry-leading volunteerism policy, a generous matching gift program, and a comprehensive program of immersive Sustainability and Climate Change Initiatives. You’ll want to join our Employee Resource Groups as they play a central part in life at HSBC, including the development of our employees and networking inside and outside of HSBC. We value difference. We succeed together. We take responsibility. We get it done. And we want you to help us build the bank of the future!
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, race, national origin, ethnicity, disability or medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran service, religion, creed, sex, gender, pregnancy, childbirth, caregiver status, marital status, citizenship or immigration status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or any other trait protected by applicable law.