Application deadline is May 12, 2023.
The Office of the New York State Attorney General is seeking an experienced prosecutor to serve as Senior Investigative Counsel in the Office of Special Investigation (OSI). OSI’s members investigate incidents throughout the state in which a police officer or a peace officer (including a corrections officer) has caused the death of a person. If warranted, OSI’s attorneys seek charges in connection with the incident and prosecute any resulting indictment. The Senior Investigative Counsel position provides a unique and exciting opportunity to join a team of experienced prosecutors, legal support staff and detective investigators who work together to strengthen public trust in the criminal justice system. This position will be based in Buffalo, Rochester or Syracuse and reports to OSI’s Upstate Deputy Bureau Chief.
Qualifications for the position of Senior Investigative Counsel are as follows:
- Candidates must have at least eight (8) years of criminal prosecution experience, including substantial homicide trial and investigation experience.
- Candidates must demonstrate excellent legal writing and research ability.
- Candidates must have strong organizational, interpersonal communication and teamwork skills.
- Verbal and/or written proficiency in other languages in addition to English is a plus, but not required.
- Prior experience working with and in diverse communities and doing community outreach is also a plus.
- On an as-needed basis, the availability to work outside of usual business hours and to travel outside thecounty of employment.
Applicants must reside in (or intend to soon become a resident of) New York State and be admitted to practice law in New York State. In addition, the Public Officers Law requires that OAG attorneys be citizens of the United States. A two (2) year commitment upon being hired is a condition of employment.
The annual salary for this position is $147,075. As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State through a wide variety of occupations. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. Additionally, the OAG offers a robust Workplace Flexibilities Program with multiple options for employees, including telecommuting (up to two days per week) and alternative work schedules.
Per Office of the Attorney General policy, confirmation of vaccination status is a condition of employment for this position. If you are not fully vaccinated, you may be required to provide regular negative COVID-19 PCR test results at a frequency determined by the agency. The agency will consider religious and reasonable accommodations. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be submitted online. To apply, please click on the following link: OSI_UPS_SIC_3566 To ensure consideration, applications must be received by close of business on May 12, 2023.
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
− You may address to Legal Recruitment.
− Indicate why you are interested in this position and what makes you a strong candidate.
− Specify your location preference: Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse.
- Legal Writing Sample
List of three (3) references
- Only submit professional references, supervisory references are preferred
- Indicate the nature and duration of your relationship to each reference Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
- Please note, your references will not be contacted until after you interview for the position.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov