About Hiscock Legal Aid: Hiscock Legal Aid (HLA), founded in 1949, is a non-profit agency located in Syracuse, New York and is a primary provider of legal services to low-income individuals in Central New York. HLA has about 80 employees and promotes the right of every person to equal justice under the law by providing high-quality legal assistance to individuals and families in need. For more information, please visit www.hlalaw.org.
About the Position: The Managing Attorney for Criminal & Appeals Programs oversees the Appeals and Parole Programs, along with other criminal law-related projects. The Managing Attorney reports to the Executive Director, and supervises the Appeals and Parole Program supervising attorneys, in addition to staff attorneys and law assistants. The responsibilities of the Managing Attorney include, but are not limited to:
(1) Overall program development to ensure high-level, client-centered representation, including developing and conducting training programs; developing standards of practice and standards of supervision; refining and developing administrative processes and procedures; and refining case management and data collection practices;
(2) Oversee Appeals and Parole Program administrative processes, including case intake and assignment, case handling, filing processes, and case-closing procedures;
(3) Oversee Caseload Relief Project, including recruitment of contract appellate attorneys, assigning of cases to contract attorneys, review of work product, answering questions, etc.;
(4) Provide direct supervision for staff attorneys and law assistants, including assisting with the preparation and review of transcript summaries, briefs, records on appeal, and post-conviction motions; mentoring staff; and collaborating to solve problems;
(5) Handle small caseload of appeals and/or parole matters, as needed;
(6) Prepare schedules for parole recognizance hearing coverage and appellate moot arguments;
(7) Compiling monthly data and preparing quarterly and yearly reports for funders;
(8) Participate in monthly program meetings and bi-weekly or weekly meetings with individual staff;
(9) Liaise with state-wide organizations and other institutional appellate and criminal-defense providers, trial and appellate court clerks, and the District Attorney’s Office, among others;
(10) Assist with staff recruitment, interviewing, and hiring; and
(11) Collaborate with management on office-wide policies and practices.
Required Qualifications: Admission in good standing to the New York Bar of at least three years. Strong leadership and interpersonal skills and ability to supervise diverse personalities. Strong statutory knowledge, especially of criminal statutes. Ability to work both independently and as part of a team. Attention to detail. Ability to meet deadlines and requirements. Excellent verbal and written
Preferred Qualifications: Three years of experience as an attorney in the practice of criminal appeals. Managerial experience. Diverse economic, social, and/or cultural experiences.
Salary: $80,000.00 through $100,000.00 annually, depending on experience.
Benefits: Excellent benefits include: generous paid personal, vacation, sick, and hourly leave time; affordable health, free dental, and low cost vision insurance for you and your dependents; 401(k) retirement plan with employer match; monthly transportation stipend; and Public Service Loan Forgiveness eligibility.
Start Date: As soon as mutually agreeable.
Application Instructions: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and list of three references to Gregory W. Dewan, Executive Director, at email@example.com
Hiscock Legal Aid is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We strongly encourage candidates of all identities, experiences, and communities to apply.