REPORTS TO: Assigned Attorneys
SUMMARY: Assists attorneys as a paralegal while paying particular attention to the medical aspects of cases in litigation by obtaining, organizing and summarizing medical records and related documentation; prepares medical research and consults with expert witnesses; assists in preparing pleadings and client reports.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains organized and indexed medical records in digital or paper format as requested by supervising attorney
- Analyzes medical records for appropriate documentation
- Regularly communicates with health care providers
- Conducts extensive review of care delivered and evaluates compliance with policies/procedures, standards of care, state/federal regulations and JCAHO standards when applicable
- Reviews pleadings from opposing counsel listing allegations and injuries to identify specific case issues
- Assists with witness interviews
- Educates attorneys and/or paraprofessionals regarding medical issues, including analysis and assessment of damages
- Assists with preparation of discovery responses
- Conducts medical research on issues related to medical malpractice defense, personal injury, product liability, toxic tort and professional licensure matters. Research may be conducted through authoritative online sources or in coordination with the Firm’s library personnel
- Assists attorneys, physicians, hospitals and nursing homes in identification of quality improvement and risk management strategies
- Attends Independent Medical Examinations when requested
- Enhances own professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, participation in professional organizations, and reading of current literature.
- Understands and complies with all applicable Firm policies, procedures, and philosophies
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
- Possesses a current NYS RN license
- Minimum of three years clinical experience in a hospital setting or long term care setting
- Ability to analyze clinical issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- PC proficient
- Demonstrates ability to acquire understanding quickly and absorb new information rapidly
- Responds in a timely manner to issues, concerns, or requests of attorneys
- Demonstrates consistent logic and objectivity in decision making
- Maintains high standards of performance
- Exhibits conscientiousness, dedication, self-discipline, and a sense of responsibility
- Maintains a professional, cooperative, positive and flexible attitude
- Functions successfully with limited supervision and frequent utilization of telephone for communication
- Excellent client service and listening skills
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to multi-task
- Ability to work with diverse personalities within various levels of the organization
- Exercises sound independent judgment under minimal direct supervision
- Ability to manage time efficiently and work independently as well as coordinate with a team
- Military experience a plus
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Visual acuity and manual dexterity required to operate computer and view documents for communication.
- Occasionally required to lift, push, pull and/or carry up to 25-50 lbs.
- Occasionally required to move throughout different areas of the organization to accomplish tasks
- Normal office environment.
- Occasionally subjected to pressure due to time demands.
- Occasionally subjected to irregular hours.
- Occasional travel required.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Meghann Roehl - firstname.lastname@example.org