The Erie County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project (VLP) is seeking a full-time Spanish speaking immigration paralegal for our law office in Batavia, NY. This office handles work under a contract at the Buffalo Federal Detention Facility in Batavia, and some WNY county jails which hold immigrant women. This is a public defender model program where we represent all low-income detained people that are facing deportation and are not otherwise represented.
- Perform client intakes and filings, as directed, at the Buffalo Federal Detention Facility
- Assist attorneys with country conditions research and translations as well as preparing motions, compiling hearing evidence, gathering bond evidence, etc.
- Maintain client files
- General office support work – data entry, filing, photocopying, phones, mail, etc. On the job training. Local travel to and from the Buffalo Federal Detention Facility is required as well as occasional trips to the Buffalo office. Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle are required.
Requirements/Skills - Required:
- Fluency in Spanish • Ability to collect and manage data
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively, with VLP staff and a variety of other partners, including volunteer attorneys, student interns and court staff
- Excellent verbal and written skills in Spanish and English
- Ability to multitask and be flexible in an office with high volume that moves at a quick pace
- Must be organized and capable of tracking work carefully for the purpose of grant and contract reporting requirements
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Knowledge of basic office technology such as mailing, faxing, scanning, and copying
- Sincere ability and desire to work with low-income immigrants and their families
- Positive attitude and a willingness to learn immigration law and procedure
Requirements/Skills – Preferred (not required):
- Paralegal degree or certificate
- Prior immigration law experience and/or prior experience as a paralegal
TO APPLY: Please send a resume with a cover letter clearly explaining your interest and qualifications. Include contact information for 3 references and send your materials to: Brenda Cisneros, Supervising Attorney, ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be accepting applications until the position is filled.
BENEFITS: Salary depends upon experience. VLP provides excellent benefits including fully paid health insurance, long term disability insurance, life insurance, a Simple Employee Pension Plan, and generous leave time. Dental insurance, FSA and Dependent Care FSA, and 403b plans are also available through employee contributions. The work atmosphere is congenial, respectful and flexible.
This position will work out of our Batavia, NY office with the possibility of some remote work after the introductory period. VLP is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability or marital status.
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required by October 31,2021 for the 1st dose (or 1 dose vaccinations) and November 30, 2021 for vaccinations requiring 2 doses unless the individual qualifies for a reasonable accommodation as required under the Americans with Disabilities Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the New York State Human Rights Law and/or guidance from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. VLP may grant requests for reasonable accommodations to this requirement on the basis of disability or sincerely held religious beliefs. For information on VLP, see www.ecbavlp.com