The ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, a non-profit legal services organization, seeks a Bilingual Social Worker to work in our Batavia, NY office. This office handles work under the New York Immigrant Family Unity Project (NYIFUP) contract at the Buffalo Federal Detention Facility in Batavia and some WNY county jail which hold immigrant women.
- have the ability to work independently while also taking direction and operating as part of our legal team. S/he must also work cooperatively with all staff in the Immigration Program, which includes attorneys, paralegals, and support staff;
- be able to work with clients who have been victims of trauma and their families;
- be able to work with families of detained people to develop and implement release from detention plans;
- identify and build relationships with area shelters and resource programs available for noncitizens;
- have the flexibility to handle an array of projects as the need arises, and be able to multi-task;
- be very organized and capable of tracking his/her work carefully for the purpose of grant and contract reporting requirements, as well as participating in preparing required data and reports to funders.
- Local travel to and from the Buffalo Federal Detention Facility is required as well as occasional trips to the Buffalo office. Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle are required.
Requirements/Skills - Required:
- MSW or BSW with 2 years-experience;
- Fluency in Spanish;
- Have a sincere ability and desire to work with low-income immigrants facing possible deportation and their families;
- Excellent writing and spoken abilities;
- Proficiency in Microsoft programs (Outlook, Excel, Word and Access) and familiar with such basic office technology as faxing, emailing and copying.
Requirements/Skills - Preferred
- Prior Experience with with low-income immigrants
TO APPLY: Please send a resume, a cover letter clearly explaining your interest and qualifications. Include contact information for 3 references and send your materials to: Brenda Cisneros, Supervising Attorney, ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be accepting applications until the position is filled.
For information on VLP, see www.ecbavlp.com
VLP is an equal opportunity employer. Salary depends upon experience. Excellent benefits including fully paid health insurance, a cafeteria plan for dependent care and transportation costs, long term disability insurance, life insurance, 403b plan, Simple Employee Pension Plan, and generous leave time. Employee paid dental insurance is also available. The work atmosphere is congenial, respectful and flexible.
VLP staff is currently primarily working from home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We anticipate that the person hired will start out working a combination of remote and in our office. This position will eventually work out of our office located in Batavia, NY.