The Erie County Bar Association Volunteer Lawyers Project (VLP) is seeking a full-time staff attorney for our Family Law unit. This attorney will be funded under a grant from the NYS Office of Victims Services and will work on a joint project with Center for Elder Law and Justice, Center for Resolution and Justice, and Haven House. The staff attorney will carry a caseload comprised of family law and matrimonial cases for survivors of domestic violence and other crimes.
VLP is a mixed model civil legal services program that coordinates services by pro bono attorneys and provides direct representation by our staff. The Buffalo office handles a wide variety of civil legal services, with a focus on involving pro bono lawyers in the delivery of our services to clients. We have two offices, one in Buffalo, NY and the other in Batavia, NY.
This position will work out of our Buffalo, NY office with the ability to work a hybrid remote/in-office schedule after the successful completion of the 3-month introductory period. Office culture values work/life balance with reasonable working hours and discourages weekend work. Generous PTO and benefits. Buffalo, NY has a very reasonable cost of living and was rated 17th for Best Affordable places to live by US News and World Report 2021-2022.
- Work collaboratively with project partners to provide services to domestic violence survivors and other victims of crime
- Intake and evaluate family law and matrimonial cases for full representation according to project guidelines
- Prepare cases for referral to Pro Bono attorney volunteers where appropriate
- Provide counsel and advice to clients and handle full representation cases including but not limited to the following subject areas: matrimonial, child support, family offense, custody and visitation.
- Staff Family Court Help Desks (both virtual and in person) as needed
- Compile data for grant reporting
- Participate in outreach events educating the community on VLP’s services
- Provide training and mentorship to Volunteer Attorneys
- Participate on at least one (1) VLP committee
- May require some local travel
- Other tasks may be assigned
Requirements/Skills - Required:
- Must be an attorney admitted to practice in New York and be in good standing
- 3-5 years of experience in family law or matrimonial law
- Strong written and oral advocacy skills
- A willingness to work independently while also taking direction and operating as part of a team
- The ability to juggle many tasks efficiently
- The means and willingness to travel locally (a driver’s license and regular access to a vehicle is required)
- Comfortable with public speaking
Requirements/Skills – Preferred:
- Experience with Family Law and Matrimonial cases involving domestic violence
- Experience working with clients who have experienced trauma
- Fluency in a second language
TO APPLY: Please send a resume and a cover letter clearly explaining your interest and qualifications. Include contact information for 3 references and send your materials to: Lori Roman Genovese, Senior Staff Attorney, ECBA Volunteer Lawyers Project, Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be accepting applications until the position is filled.
BENEFITS: Salary depends upon experience. VLP provides excellent benefits including fully paid health insurance, long term disability insurance, life insurance, a Simple Employee Pension Plan, and generous leave time. Dental insurance, FSA, Dependent Care FSA, and 403b plans are also available through employee contributions. The work atmosphere is congenial, respectful, and flexible.
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required unless the individual qualifies for a reasonable accommodation as required under the Americans with Disabilities Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the New York State Human Rights Law and/or guidance from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. VLP may grant requests for reasonable accommodations to this requirement on the basis of disability or sincerely held religious beliefs.