FIND YOUR FUTURE
We're excited about the potential people bring to our organization. You can grow your career here while enjoying first-class perks, benefits and commitment to diversity and inclusion.
The Deputy Counsel - Senior shall be responsible for research, drafting documents, handling complex contractual, regulatory, and transactional issues from commencement to closing and assisting the General Counsel as directed. In addition the Deputy Counsel - Senior shall develop/maintain expertise and legal oversight responsibilities for particular areas of law/company operations as assigned by General Counsel.
- Juris Doctor Degree; Admitted to practice law in New York State required.
- Six (6) years of legal experience/in-house counsel experience with health law or general business/transactional law required.
- Proven ability to negotiate and work with clients on various forms of vendor agreements and contracts.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with one or more of the following areas preferred: ERISA; Medicare and Medicaid laws, rules, and regulations; New York Public Health Law; and Insurance Law. Legal research experience with excellent written and oral communication skills; strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Strong academic background with legal research experience.
- Experience with general corporate and commercial contracts preferred.
- Ability to assume leadership role and maintain client confidence. This includes the ability to understand business objectives and to provide legal advice in a business context.
- Knowledge and experience in dealing with Federal and State regulatory entities.
- Proven examples of displaying the IH values: Passionate, Caring, Respectful, Trustworthy, Collaborative and Accountable.
- Work independently and assist the General Counsel as needed. Potential areas include Managed Care, Insurance, Medicare, and Medicaid, as well as with various types of vendor contracts, broker agreements, and regulatory matters with Independent Health and its affiliates. Ability to handle matters handled by General Counsel, in their absence.
- Work with client groups to develop a collaborative relationship and to understand their business unit strategies, goals and priorities, as well as their culture and risk management standards.
- Maintain an awareness of applicable laws and regulations as well as industry and market best practices to contribute ideas and efforts to the achievement of strategic and business goals.
- Ensure Independent Health business units receive appropriate legal counsel and services through in-house legal team or outside legal counsel in areas of responsibility.
- Research legal cases and issues as needed.
- Draft, review and approve vendor contracts and documents for signature by the applicable department Executive team member or their delegate.
- Draft correspondence, memoranda, briefs, etc., concerning legal issues.
- Represent legal department at assigned committee meetings as assigned by General Counsel.
- Represent Independent Health and other entities by attending various Board, Committees and staff meetings as directed by General Counsel.
- Participate in negotiations, including but not limited to, state, federal, local regulators, hospitals, and medical groups. Operate in a leadership position when developing and drafting position statements, arguments and responses to regulatory and other outside inquiries or demands.
As an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer, Independent Health and its affiliates will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, transgender status, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship and immigration status, physical and mental disability, criminal record, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, status with respect to receiving public assistance, domestic violence victim status, a disabled, special, recently separated, active duty wartime, campaign badge, Armed Forces service medal veteran, or any other characteristics protected under applicable law. Click here for additional EEO/AAP or Reasonable Accommodation information.
Current Associates must apply internally via the Job Hub app.