Center for Elder Law & Justice is looking to fill a full-time Attorney position to work within our Pro Bono & Technology Based Services Units.
About CELJ: Center for Elder Law & Justice (CELJ) is a civil legal services organization fighting for justice, primarily for low-income older adults, in 10 counties in Western New York. Our attorneys stop illegal evictions, save clients homes from foreclosure, put a stop to elder domestic violence, fight for public benefits, work with our local immigrant & refugee populations, and represent grandparents and other kinship care relatives in custody and neglect petitions in family court. We also advocate for systems-wide policy changes, commenting frequently on changes to regulations and working with local elected leaders on legislation that will impact the poor and vulnerable older adults in our area. We believe that independence and dignity are the hallmarks of justice.
Job Description: Support the Director of Pro Bono Programs in planning and implementing CELJ's Pro Bono Program.
- Assisting with special events and outreach, such as Elder Law Day and Wills Clinics, and other clinics;
- Assisting with Surrogate’s Court Help Center consultation program, including weekly in-person program at the Erie County Surrogate’s Court;
- Attending local bar association meetings relevant to Pro Bono Program, including Bar Association of Erie County Surrogate’s Court Committee meetings and Elder Law Committee Meetings; and
- Assisting with CELJ’s Continuing Legal Education program.
Collaborate with our staff attorney to assist and expand our Senior Legal Advice Helpline, which provides limited-scope legal services free of charge to seniors.
- Taking Helpline live calls and callbacks
- Create materials to support Helpline staff attorneys, including research and drafting of compendium of legal information to assist in providing legal advice in all non-criminal areas of law; and
- Recruit, train, and manage team of attorneys to staff the Helpline.
- Assist with outreach and expansion of the Helpline to additional areas of New York.
Work on a small contract, which will include quarterly travel to Steuben County.
- Admitted to practice in NYS
- 3-7 years legal experience, preferred
- Self-starter; self-motivated
- Previous experience, or an interest in, legal technology and service models, preferred
- Wills and Estates experience, preferred
- Outstanding professional, verbal and written communication skills
- Must be comfortable and engaging public speaker
- Must be able to professionally and effectively communicate with volunteer attorneys, court staff, community partners and clients.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including events that may take place nights/evenings, and occasional weekend days.
- Some travel, required
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to Rachel Haseley, HR Director Rhaseley@elderjusticeny.org
CELJ is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Employer recruits without regard to sex, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity, and any such candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.