Center for Elder Law & Justice is looking to fill a full-time Attorney position to work within our Elder Abuse Unit. This position will travel amongst our Dunkirk and Buffalo offices.
About CELJ: Center for Elder Law & Justice (CELJ) is a civil legal services organization fighting for justice, primarily for low-income older adults, in 10 counties in Western New York. Our attorneys stop illegal evictions, save clients homes from foreclosure, put a stop to elder domestic violence, fight for public benefits, work with our local immigrant & refugee populations, and represent grandparents and other kinship care relatives in custody and neglect petitions in family court. We also advocate for systems-wide policy changes, commenting frequently on changes to regulations and working with local elected leaders on legislation that will impact the poor and vulnerable older adults in our area. We believe that independence and dignity are the hallmarks of justice.
Must be assertive, compassionate, demonstrate good judgement, be highly organized, detail-oriented and able to communicate effectively and work efficiently.
- Manage a caseload
- Draft court documents
- Maintain timely and consistent client contact
- Maintain ongoing relationship with other attorneys designated to respective cases
- Provide training, community outreach, and education to individuals and local community-based organization, and other advocates
- Coordinate and collaborate with other groups and organizations
- Represent the civil practice and legal aid in the community
- Promote the work of the office and civil practice
- Work with pro bono lawyers and partner organizations.
- Admitted to practice in NYS
- 1-3 years of practice experience, preferred
- Experience with elder abuse or other sensitive client base, very helpful
- Trauma informed care experience, preferred
- Legal services background, or knowledge of general civil legal work
- Strong professional, verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable working in a fast paced environment, with a high caseload
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately while exhibiting patience and diplomacy
- Travel, required
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to Rachel Haseley, HR Director Rhaseley@elderjusticeny.org
CELJ is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Employer recruits without regard to sex, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity, and any such candidates are strongly encouraged to apply