The Executive Vice President (EVP) and General Counsel (GC) will lead and mentor a team of top performing attorneys who can provide support and advice to the organization. The EVP/GC should have the professional, interpersonal, and organizational acumen necessary for a senior leadership role. The EVP/GC should have broad legal subject matter expertise along with a strong comprehension of the strategies and business activities of the company. The EVP/GC should demonstrate an understanding and a commitment to the organizations core values which are, being Passionate, Caring, Respectful, Trustworthy, Collaborative and Accountable. The position will serve the Board of Directors and its Committees, Independent Health Association, Inc., and its affiliated entities. This position must demonstrate decisive, resourceful, and reliable expertise that favorably impact results for the enterprise. They will also develop and maintain business knowledge of the industry, best practices, and customer expectations and the ability to engage support for needed change.
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school required. Admitted to practice law in New York State required.
- Fifteen (15) years of experience as a general counsel and/or in-house experience including in a regulatory/health payor industry or corporate governance, or combination thereof required.
- Ten (10) years of management experience required.
- Experience in a regulated industry, including development, implementation, and maintenance of legal structures for service to the entity is strongly preferred.
- Business experience and experience presenting to and interacting with Boards of Directors and its Committees preferred.
- Must possess a keen business sense and experience supporting the achievement of business goals while maintaining sound legal practices.
- Change management or strategic program or process planning, development, implementation, and support, including interaction with senior management team members.
- Strong verbal, written and interpersonal skills, including public speaking required.
- Demonstrated leadership in hiring and developing a team of lawyers.
- Proven examples of displaying the IH values: Passionate, Caring, Respectful, Trustworthy, Collaborative and Accountable.
Leadership of the Legal Team
- Serve as member of the Executive Team to assure alignment of strategy, operating plans, policies, and procedures.
- Hire individuals who demonstrate job competencies and qualifications, as well as the Independent Health values.
- Manage internal and external legal resources effectively; determine what legal skillsets and resources are necessary to support evolving legal needs for Independent Health and its affiliate companies.
- Align associate goals with the organization’s Mission, Vision, and Strategic Objectives. Manage priorities on a daily basis to create an environment where goals are achieved.
- Develop a high performing team that collaborates effectively with all areas of Independent Health and its affiliates.
- Inspire others to learn and grow. Actively practice succession planning and develop the team’s capabilities.
- Instill and model a strong customer service focus, both internal and external, throughout the legal department.
- Assure performance of the team in meeting customer expectations regarding timelines and quality of work.
- Provide advice and counsel to the Board and its Committees and serve as secretary to the Board of Directors. Assure appropriate board governance and documentation thereof specifically serving as staff to the governance committee.
- Demonstrate and delegate tasks to ensure individuals receive ongoing challenges to increase skills and competencies.
- Build systems of accountability utilizing such tools as the annual performance review process. Recognize good performance and celebrate successes.
- Address performance deficiencies immediately, following the IHA Corrective Action Process.
- Build and maintain effective communication systems to ensure clarity in roles, priorities, and focus.
- Unquestionable integrity, ethics and values are essential, as are a mentoring style toward staff and excellent organizational skills. Should be responsive and flexible and have excellent follow through.
- Act as a valued consultant and become a major influencer for best practices and policies, interfacing with all facets of the business.
- Collaborative working relationship with Chief Risk Officer regarding Audit Compliance.
- Give appropriate legal counsel to the Board and its Committees to ensure Independent Health’s best interest in legal matters, especially those of significance.
- Reduce exposure to Independent Health by assuring policies and practices are consistent with all legislative bodies to include DOL, DOH, DFS, CMS.
- Compose contracts, responses to or delegate to appropriate internal/external counsel.
- Act as Independent Health chief legal counsel in any litigation.
- Oversee and give guidance to functional areas as assigned by the CEO.
- Business Development duties include lead and direct diligence of potential M&A activity, including the buying or selling of businesses/affiliates, leadership and coordination of relationships with potential outside acquirers, purchasers, interested parties, or consultants. Active involvement with senior leadership within the organization to develop business leads and understanding of market opportunities. Responsibility for coordinating business units and their leadership along with the appropriate legal, finance and other areas, and assuring appropriate communication throughout the organization of such transactions/activities.
- Ensure a framework for the organization’s business development activities. Specifically work with, as applicable for any given project the board and key executives, on potential opportunities identified or considered. Lead and coordinate activities surrounding these opportunities, including business valuation, integration, contracting, negotiation, due diligence, capitalization, legal and tax planning and business planning. Further, establish and maintain key relationships with potential business partners including joint venture candidates, acquisition candidates, and merger candidates. Also maintain relationships with venture capital firms, investment bankers and other industry specialists in order to stay current with activity taking place in the market.
- As a member of the Executive team, provide input and feedback to the strategic plan via the planning process. Align process goals and metrics with the strategic plan and initiatives. Use the Mission, Vision, Values and Strategic Imperatives as guides for actions and decision making. Assure organization bylaws are up to date and fully aligned with the organization’s mission, vision and values as well as state and federal regulations and good governance practices.
- Cultivate collaborative working relationships with Independent Health leaders to understand their business unit strategies, goals, and priorities.
- Maintain an awareness of industry and market best practices to contribute ideas and efforts to the achievement of strategic and business goals. Ensure IHA business units and its affiliates receive appropriate legal counsel and services through in-house legal team or outside legal counsel in areas including but not limited to Corporate Responsibility, Vendor Contracting, Antitrust, Labor & Employment and Intellectual Property.
- Promote and support organizational learning. Engage in and encourage staff to embrace continuous learning principles and activities.
- Organize, manage, train, and develop staff of all departments where oversight responsibility exists. Assess workforce capacity and pursue cross-functional efficiencies and synergies.
- Oversee and assure the development of contracts that comply with state and federal laws and regulations while protecting the assets of the organization.
- Contracts include but are not limited to those with members, providers (physicians, hospitals, pharmacies, and ancillary providers), pharmaceutical manufacturers, consultants, technology suppliers, and other vendors. Assure appropriate appeal mechanisms are established and followed as it relates to the implementation of the above contracts.
- Coordinate development of process area budgets and manage established budgets. Manage and develop efficiencies across products and processes.
- Ensure compliance with the corporate risk management plan and other regulatory requirements. Protect confidential business information and data to minimize risk to the organization.
- Promote and utilize industry, competitive and product intelligence for planning, operations, budgeting, and performance management.
- Demonstrate leadership and develop leaders. Embrace and promote the continual development of the workforce. Participate in Independent Health leadership meetings.