Center for Elder Law & Justice is looking to fill a full-time Attorney position to work within our Family Unit. The ideal candidate will have a legal services background with a strong compassion for public service work.
Must be assertive, compassionate, demonstrate good judgement, be highly organized, detail-oriented and able to communicate effectively and work efficiently.
Center for Elder Law & Justice (CELJ) civil legal services organization fighting for justice, primarily for low-income older adults, in 10 counties in Western New York. Our attorneys stop illegal evictions, save clients homes from foreclosure, put a stop to elder domestic violence, fight for public benefits, work with our local immigrant & refugee populations, and represent grandparents and other kinship care relatives in custody and neglect petitions in family court. We also advocate for systems-wide policy changes, commenting frequently on changes to regulations and working with local elected leaders on legislation that will impact the poor and vulnerable older adults in our area. We believe that independence and dignity are the hallmarks of justice.
- Admitted to practice in NYS
- 3 + years of practice experience, family court experience ideal
- Ability to handle a heavy caseload
- Experience with a sensitive client base, very helpful
- Litigation experience, preferred
- Trauma informed care experience, preferred
- Legal services background, or knowledge of general civil legal work
- Strong professional, verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable working in a fast paced environment, with a high caseload
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately while exhibiting patience and diplomacy
- Potential travel, required
- May need to work evening hours, as needed
CELJ offers a competitive benefits and compensation package, including:
- Generous vacation and sick time
- Thirteen holidays a year, plus two half-day holidays
- Summer hours between Memorial Day and Labor Day
- Payment of license fees and association dues
- Encouragement of professional development
Send cover letter and resume to Rachel Haseley, HR Director Rhaseley@elderjusticeny.org
No phone calls please.
CELJ is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Employer recruits without regard to sex, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity, and any such candidates are strongly encouraged to apply