Center for Elder Law & Justice is looking to fill a full-time or part-time Attorney position to work within our Medical-Legal Unit.
About CELJ: Center for Elder Law & Justice (CELJ) is a civil legal services organization fighting for justice, primarily for low-income older adults, in 10 counties in Western New York. Our attorneys stop illegal evictions, save clients homes from foreclosure, put a stop to elder domestic violence, fight for public benefits, work with our local immigrant & refugee populations, and represent grandparents and other kinship care relatives in custody and neglect petitions in family court. We also advocate for systems-wide policy changes, commenting frequently on changes to regulations and working with local elected leaders on legislation that will impact the poor and vulnerable older adults in our area. We believe that independence and dignity are the hallmarks of justice.
Job Description: Provide direct civil legal services to patient-clients. Practice areas include but are not limited to housing, consumer, substituted decision making matters, elder law, and public benefits. Consult and train medical providers to identify common legal issues, and develop collaborative working relationships with key hospital administrators, physicians, nurses and medical staff.
Work closely with health care providers and general counsel to address complex and intractable problems facing hospital patients. Handle legal issues that are largely linked to elder law, including housing matters, employment, healthcare, and end of life planning. Maintaining strong relationships with hospital staff and general counsel is essential.
- Admitted to practice in NYS
- 0-15 years of legal experience, preferred
- Self-starter; self-motivated
- Must enjoy a fast paced environment
- Able to handle multiple tasks
- Must be comfortable in a hospital setting
- This is not a traditional desk job; required to meet with patient’s bedside
- Program development experience
- Substituted decision making, wills, elder law experience, preferred
- Communication and interpersonal skills required – must be comfortable collaborating with hospital staff
- Public speaking (trainings)
- Able to identify and evaluate legal issues
- Commitment to communities we serve
- Travel amongst counties, required
CELJ offers a competitive benefits and compensation package, including:
- Generous vacation and sick time
- Fourteen holidays a year, plus two half-day holidays
- Summer hours between Memorial Day and Labor Day
- Payment of license fees and association dues
- Encouragement of professional development
Job Type: Full time or Part Time position
Union Collective Bargaining Agreement pay scale with an entry level salary of $58,914
Send cover letter and resume to Chandler Jones, HR Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
CELJ is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Employer recruits without regard to sex, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity, and any such candidates are strongly encouraged to apply